Tuesday, July 28, 2015

post-grad arts & crafts

 
bitches be stitchin' 

Treat Yo' Self Twenty-Fiffffteeeen

I've been stitchin', I've been stitchin'...

Now that I have an overwhelming amount of free time, I've been trying to find a new hobby - but instead of starting something new, I decided to work on improving an craft I tried to learn a few months ago. Over the past six months I've lightly dabbled in stitching and taught myself some basic cross stitching in all the free time I had in college. I think it's cool and vintage and funny and ironic all at the same time. Its a good way to pass the time and mindlessly watch TV without feeling guilty. This is my first post-grad stitch. I've been trying to find some more productive ways to occupy my post-grad, not-working-full-time, free time (aka this blog). I don't have the time can't bring myself to unpack, or rearrange my room, or workout for an hour everyday, sooo I decided to put a few hours to good use and created this gem. Vintage crafts are in now, right? Maybe I'll try macrame next...


Now if you watch Parks and Rec, you'll remember Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle's infamous Treat Yo'self days. One or two times a year, they set aside a day for relaxation, fine leather goods, and buying pretty much anything they want just to treat themselves. A true inspiration and reminder to set aside a little time for yourself in your hectic schedule. 

Anyway, I stitched up this little baby in about 5 hours (refreshing my skills), using an idea I saw online. I usually just look at something online that I want to replicate and figure it out with my own errors twist included. This was my first time doing an ombre technique and the first time I used the black Ada cloth - and honestly, I'm kind of obsessed. Heart eye emoji. I added a few cute little hearts because I love hearts, and isn't Treat Yo'self all about loving yourself?


final product
I'm working on creating a collection of these subversive cross stitches for a wall in my ~future~ home. Reminder: I'm just a beginner, am self-taught, and typically just find ideas online to replicate. 
If your interested in purchasing something like this, or a custom order - hollla at me and remember:




No comments:

Post a Comment